Monday, March 14, 2005

The Journey Home

Judy Dixon's daughter, Louisa kindly gave Jane Fielding and myself a lift back to Milton Keynes station in her car. I'm glad that I arrived early because the trains back to London were running askew because of engineering works. If I had caught the 4:37, which probably wouldn't have turned up until 5 o clock, I seriously doubt that I would have made the 18:30 Paddington train out of London.

Jane was also pleased to have left earlier as she was able to catch an earlier train too. My journey back to London was without incident, although I nearly did fall asleep - I guess that the weekend was starting to catch up with me.

I arrived back in Euston and lumbered down with heavy bags was astonished to see how many people were milling around in the capital on a Sunday afternoon. I had to take the long route back to Paddington on the Underground. I looked for the walkway to the pink Hammersmith and City Line (which only means a few stops to Paddington on the tube), but couldn't find it anywhere so I took the longer route back via the Northern and Central line. The underground was completely packed, another reason why I hate london. I was getting a bit anxious about getting back to Paddington by 6:30 (because believe it or not - it's the last train to Penzance on a Sunday) because of the queues, but I made it with 10 minutes to spare - so I grabbed another Burger King Whopper Meal. Two in one weekend - I guess I was priviledged! lol

The train was on time and I scooted along the platform along with everyone else to get ahead of the crowd to grab an unreserved seat with a table. I got on the first available carriage - sat down and then noticed that I was in a Family carriage... ooops. screaming kids all the way? By then it was too late to find another table in another carriage as the train was starting to fill up.

I stitched some of the satin bag on the way home and then gave up with that. I got my gameboy out then got tired of that too. Then I noticed that the interconnecting door at the end of the carriage had been propped open and there were people milling about in there in huge green hats. They seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely. Pre-St Patrick's Day Celebrations for they got out an accordion and started doing an Irish Jig outside the toilet. Yes, a party outside the loo! lol Unfortunatley they got off at Taunton or I might have gone and joined them ;-)

The train was on time and pulled into Penzance at 0:05. What a long journey! But well worth it for a great weekend.

No comments: