Friday, December 09, 2005

Lunch With Skippy

Today I walked into town and took The Mermaid Queen to the framers. She's going to be ready in about 10 days. I wouldn't dare risk trying to frame her myself, after six months of work she deserves to be framed by a professional.

Then I went and had lunch in the Turk's Head, which is heralded as the oldest pub in Penzance. I went there because I noticed that the other day they had Kangaroo Steaks on their specials board. I've wanted to try Kangaroo for years, ever since I learned that a local butcher in Gillingham sold it (he was unfortunately out of stock when we went there to purchase some to take to a bbq) and I've been dying to try it ever since then, so today I did.

What can I say? A Kangaroo is just a huge jumping cow! It tasted almost exactly like beef steak, but with a slightly more gamier flavour which was very subtle. It was a nice meal. The Kangaroo was pan fried in Creme de Cassis (strawberry liquor) sauce and was served with a small side salad and chips.

Oh well, nice one Skippy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your meal is making me hungry now Vash and it's only 11.30am!!!! I haven't had kangaroo, but I've had reindeer and will be again next Friday when I go to Lapland. Mum and I are taking my 3 year old, along with my parents next door neighbour and her 5 year old Grand-daughter. I can't wait.