Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Bugs

Sean emailed me today. Bugs has died. Sean said he passed away in his sleep, he was only three and a half years old. Earlier this year he was apparently diagnosed with a heart murmur so Sean said that he thought his heart had finally given out on him. I asked Sean to get the vet to do an autopsy, but it's too late because Sean's already buried his body in the woods. It's very hard to believe this because Bugs was such a young and very fit cat. He would run rings around all of my other cats. Bugs and Fats would really go for it sometimes, chasing around in the garden, it was an even match between them, Fats only held his own because of his sheer bulk (14lbs), Bugs was lightening quick. In his last year, Sean said he even became quite an accomplished hunter, bringing home all manner of small creatures from the woods at the back of Sean's house.

When Sean and I broke up, I wanted to keep Bugs myself, but Bugs was another thing that Sean stole from my life. I never even got to say a proper goodbye to that little cat. I remember when Sean had banished me to sleeping on the kids bunk beds in the spare room and I was really miserable and suicidal, that little cat would sleep with me, and try to comfort me by playing with me by poking his feet though the empty bed frame above me at me, teasing me to grab at him. He was even a bigger comfort to me at that time than my beloved Jade.

I remember he was outside on the wall at the end of the yard and I said a quick goodbye to him while I was loading up the car to come down to Cornwall for a short break. I didn't imagine at the time that I would not be going back, and ultimately that I would never see him again.

I have kept a lot of text messages from about that time on my phone. I kept them as evidence of Sean's bullying and threatening behaviour for legal reasons. Even after the house was sold and things were settled, I still haven't deleted them as I don't want to lose those memories of those horrible times. One of the oldest is dated 22nd April 2004, . Sean said "Unless I hear from you by Monday saying when you are coming back I am going to find homes for all the cats". It was pure blackmail which translated as: "come back so I can bully you even more about selling your home or the cats will be gone by the time you come back".

On receipt of this text I got a copy of my front door key made and sent it to a friend asking him to collect Jade and Bugs from the house. The only reason I have Jade with me now is because he let himself be picked up by my friend and so was taken away to safety, where I was later able to reclaim him a few months later when I was more settled. Bugs had other ideas, threw a panicked fit and ran from his arms, so my friend let him be.

I went back to collect Bugs myself in June at the time of my Aunt's Funeral. This was only a week after actually finding somewhere to live (you don't want to know how I'd been living up until then, but it did include sleeping in the car at times), where I could house Bugs safely, (Jade was still safe with my friend at this time). But Sean refused to give him up to me, or to tell me where he was living, he even lied to me, deliberately throwing me off the scent telling me that he was renting a flat in Lesley Place in Maidstone where we used to live together before we bought our house. Sean wouldn't even speak to me at the time I phoned him to reclaim Bugs while outside Lesley Place, he just gave an exasperated sigh and hung up his phone.

I remember phoning his friend Simon and asking him where Sean was now living, but he wouldn't give up the address (for after going to Lesley Place and realising that I'd been duped, I recalled Sean mentioning about renting a house in Vinter's Park off Simon's father who was a property magnate) and said that it was my fault that Sean had taken everything and the cats because I wasn't there. My instincts were correct though, I got Spud's girlfriend to drive me around the Vinter's Park estate where Sean now lives. I guess it was just unfortunate that I didn't spot his car around parked on the driveway or something or I could have had Bugs back with me now, and I could have shared the last 20 months of his life with him.

As soon as I had my own home again, where I wouldn't be evicted by the Landlord for having too many cats (it was difficult enough to find anywhere to live which would accept even one cat - where I live now is not good either, it's way too small and there's no kitchen - I'm looking for something better and have been for the last year I've been here, in fact, the only reason I stay here is because of the large safe garden for Jade and the house is in a cul-de-sac which makes it doubly safe for Jade to roam while I'm out at work all day), I always intended to go back to Sean's house, camp out in those woods and "Cat Nap" Bugs, as Sean clearly wouldn't give him up to me. That opportunity is now passed forever.

Bye Bye Bugs, you most precotious of all the cats I've ever owned, and stop buggering the bunnies while you wait for me on the Rainbow Bridge, I'll be there soon.

RIP Major Tom
4 May 2002 - 13 December 2005

I've posted some photos of happier times with him below.

14 comments:

Renee said...

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear about your kitty. Firstly because of his passing but also because I know how cat custody battles go. I was lucky when my ex and I broke up and managed to get custody of the cats, but getting them was surely a mess. May your Bugs rest in peace.

Von said...

I'm so sorry your dear cat is gone. {{{{{Vash}}}} You've been through some very difficult days. Sending good thoughts your way for better times!

Rowyn said...

Sorry to hear about Bugs (he was a beautiful cat), it is really hard when they pass away. It truly is like losing a member of the family. Hang on to the good memories. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oooh Vash, It must be so sad for you bringing back all these memories. Not just for Bugs but of the terrible things you've had to go through with your ex.
Hugs and Hugs and Hugs to you. I hope the festive season brings you a little happiness and you set off in to 2006 with a smile.

{{{{xxxx}}}}

natty68 said...

Oh Vash, I am so sorry to hear about Bugs, he was a lovely cat looking at the photos.

*hugs*

Carol said...

I am so sorry to hear about Bugs

{{{hugs}}}

Carol

Dawn T. said...

I am so sorry to hear about Bugs. (hugs)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, I have a dog but I can understand your pain. Rest in peace little Bugs.

Chiara said...

I'm really sorry to hear about Bugs.

Sandra said...

Vash, I am so sorry to hear about Bugs, he was such a beautiful cat. Hugs to you and Jade.

nela said...

que le puedo decir, yo nunca dejaría que mi esposo se quedar con mi gata, por que ella llego a mi vida, cuando nosotros rompimos de novios, ella me lamia cuando yo lloraba por el, ella fue mi compañia en los momentos mas triztes de mi vida, y no le perito a él, por nada del mundo la trate mal, yo de Minina no me separa hasta que Dios lo permita, por que es mi mejor amiga, lamento mucho todo lo que ha vivido, lamento la perdida de Sam, por que es tan parecido a mi Minina, por que lo conoci hace 3 años cuando aun ud. estaba con Sean, por que desde que vi sus fotos era genial, tenia un caracter tan hermoso

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel You would not beleive how much I miss Bugs. This morning when I went outside the house there was a dead mouse by the door. I think it was Bugs letting me know he is still about.He led a happy life here and *really* enjoyed being able to go into the woods. Signed Him the worst "ex" in the world if you believe everything Vash has told you.

siouxsiesweets said...

im so sorry for your loss, he looks such a beautiful cat in the photos,

Kiwi Jo said...

I'm so sorry Vash. Bugs looked like a real sweetie.