Thursday, January 20, 2005

Stitching Bloggers Question of the Week: Anchor vs DMC

Do you see a difference between Anchor and DMC floss? If so, what do you think the difference is? Do you have a preference between the two?

I think Anchor floss may be of a little better quality - but I prefer DMC because I've got the whole set now. The only Anchor floss I've bought has been in an emergency because I've needed a DMC colour, and a shop was able to provide it's Anchor equivalent (some times they match - sometimes they don't) and couldn't find one at short notice.

The only stitching shop in Penzance (well - I say only - there's one down near the harbour "Cornish Stitch Designs" - but they only sell kits and they were quite horrified when I asked them if they would sell me one of their DMC spools - they are only allowed to buy these because they use them to make up their kits, and the thought of selling one of these to a member of the public was more than they could take!!! They seemed quite shocked when I showed them my silkweaver reflections fabric - and a bit snooty too: they only sell kits, nearly all of which use Aida - shudder!!! despite the fact that some of their local designs of the landscape and landmarks are really rather good - ok better stop ranting here.... just as well I can buy online really ;-)... ), up in Chapell Street sells only Anchor - so I can quite easily see me buying more Anchor threads in the future in those future stitching emergencies.

No comments: