Monday, January 03, 2005

The Geek Corner

It's the last day of freedom today (Bank Holiday Monday) before I'm back to work tomorrow. I felt a bit hungover for most of the day after last night's drinking session with some friends. I had too much to drink as usual - so much that I was singing Madonna's Beautiful Stranger on the Kareoke! Well I was singing, but no one could hear me because I've got a really quiet voice and they never turn the microphones up load enough.

I watched Alien Vs Predator in the morning (on a dodgy Div-x CD) which I've posted a review of on my other blog and settled in to watch Van Helsig in the afternoon. I'm not sure whether I liked that film or not - a lot of it seemed to have been done before in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but Hugh Jackman did look quite good at the end of the movie with his shirt off! The vampires were pretty cool though, but that Dracula character was crap, I could sense no real sense of malevolance coming from him at all. I was stitching my Mirabillia Angel while I watched - maybe that's why I couldn't really get into the film. I suppose I'll have to watch it again properly when I'm not being distracted by something else.

I'm almost done with the Mirabilia Angel now. Just a few stitches of metallic green left and then I'm on to the beading. I'll have to dig out my beading needle and find my beading instructions as I've not attempted this properly before.

One word of note though - the chart says use two strands of the Kreinik threads, I tried this and after having a nightmare trying to thread the needle, the stitches turned out to look way too bulky on my delicate 32 count Coral Crystals Reflections fabric (from Silkweaver) - so if you are stitching this too [big tip for Karen F], ignore the instructions and just use one thread instead.

I went out again tonight with some friends. One of them said that he was going to be having food in the Weatherspoons first so I thought that I'd better eat something first too and not repeat last night's experience, and ordered a steak. Weatherspoons are doing this Jim Bean Bourban Glaze at the moment, it's really delicious - yum!!

My other friend turned up about 7:00 and we all got on quite well. We got a bit loud towards the end of the evening, talking about Star Trek, Enterprise, Deep Space Nine and Voyager and it amused me to turn around and see half the pub looking with disgust at the sci fi geeks sitting in the corner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip Vash. I'm not that far on yet though as I've put her away for a bit while I work on something else in my rotation. I started this rotation with good intentions although I really did want to finish of Angel before I started it. Well never mind. Can't wait to see a piccie of yours complete. How are you going to finish her?
Karen F