Thursday, October 06, 2005

Stitching Blogger's Question of the Week: Future Projects

When you have almost finished a pattern and start thinking about the next one to stitch, how do you select it? (a list, most recent purchase, etc.)

I wish I was organised enough to have a list of projects that I want to start. Usually it's just the next one that "shouts" stitch me, which I begin next. I don't have a system for working through my stash of unstitched projects. I've seen other online Stitching Bloggers have Stash Reduction Plans. Melissa even has a STRIP list. This is a very good idea.

I used to have my stash listed in a database program which was quite useful as I could input all my skeins, how many skeins I had in each project on the go, so I could find a particular colour out of a WIP. You could also use this piece of software to pre-plan your next stitching piece by entering in the material requirements, and it would give you a shopping list if you were out of or low on a particular DMC colour that the project required.

Sadly - that little piece of software went the way of the dodo last year when my old laptop died. The site that hosted it online has subsequently closed too, I can't even remember what it was called now. There are other Stash Databases around, but I think you've got to pay for them, while the one I had was completely free.

No comments: