Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Solo the Cat (No Anchor Here!)

Here's a WIP update of Solo the Cat. Which I'm stitching on KiwiJo's pale blue 28 count Joblean for a Stitching Blogger's Round Robin. He's nearly complete now, just a few odd missed stitches in the foliage to go, plus the back stitching of course.


I'm stitching this with converted DMC threads because the pattern only lists Anchor skeins. Why do magazines do that?

I know that this is a design from an Anchor range and I guess they want to push sales of Anchor thread by giving this away as a freebie - but they must know that any stitcher with a nonse of common sense is just going to convert the threads to stitch their design with what they feel most comfortable with.

For anyone who needs a conversion chart, try this one.

All Anchor/Cross Stitcher suceed in doing is wasting about 10 minutes of a stitchers time while she converts the threads to DMC. Unless of course you are fortunate enough to have the full set of both, or are solely an Anchor Girl. Me, I'm DMC through and through.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nearly finished!! I've been watching its progress...it's coming out really beautiful with fabric. :)

Kiwi Jo said...

it's wonderful Vash - thank you so much!

Kitty Couture said...

You've achieved gress progress on him. I love that design as well!

Lnanaa said...

What's the difference between Anchor and DMC? I had a project that I was doing that said to cross stitch with DMC threads, but do backstitches with Ancher threads? Do you know if I could still use DMC with the backstitches instead of Anchor?

Vash said...

There are subtle differences between the Anchor and DMC shades when you convert them. Of course you can do the backstitching with DMC. Just use the DMC conversion chart link I posted in the main body of this post.

Anonymous said...

Love it ! I'm sure Solo will be even more colourful than the original !

Beware of ready made magazine Anchor to DMC convversions. I'm stitching the latest Archie in DMC, and if I had followed their conversion, I would have ended up with a radioactive duckie and an yellow bear. So I changed all the colours to my licking,how devil of me ;)

Lorna said...

I know exactly what you mean, I have converted Anchor to DMC quite a few times. Another DMC gal through and through.;)

Kathy said...

Oooooo that looks lovely well done. Look forward to seeing the finished result. love you castle on the shiny material as well.

Hugs xxxxx