Sunday, December 05, 2004

The Short-legged Accidental Shoplifter!

I went shopping yesterday, I'd been eyeing up some grey suits (jacket and
trouser sets) in Peacocks for a week or two and I decided to go in an buy
one yesterday - but I didn't in the end. Why? Why do all clothes
manufacturers insist on creating trousers for people with model length legs?
I'm 5' 3" and only one inch below the average height of women in this
country - which is 5' 4", and I'm sick of buying pairs of trousers and
having to suffer the indignantly of 5" turnups or having to hack off about
3-4 inches of material to avoid them. Why should I be forced to become my
own tailor due to their short sighted-ness?

There was an older lady in the shop who said she had exactly the same
problem as me, as she held up a skirt to her that swept to the floor. I
left Peacocks in a huff after that. I went in another clothes shop, this
one a bit more upmarket - but alas, the same problem with the trousers in
there.

In the end, I walked right up to the other end of the High Street and went
in Bon Marche'. As I entered the shop I became aware that something was
dragging on me. I looked down, I'd got a coat hanger and a size 18/20 black
glittery top hanging on the back of my poncho. Oooops. I noticed that the
tag on the hanger was one of Peacocks ones. I hurriedly disentangled the
coat hanger from my poncho and stuffed it on the clothing racks in Bon
Marche'. I must have walked the entire length of the high street trailing
that damned top! No one stopped me either. lol I was too embarrassed to
have taken in back.

At least Bon Marche' were able to help with my trouser problem, I asked for
short length trousers and they went and found a couple of pairs from the
store room upstairs. Yes, they had to be fetched, they weren't out on
general display, even given the fact that the sales assistant was the same
height as me and suffered the same problem, her trouser hems were dragging all over the floor as I spoke to her. I was quite pleased in a way because the size 14s were too big and I had to ask for a 12. I think that's the first size twelve garment I've bought since..... ermmm actually I can't remember, I think I've always been a size 14, 16 or plus.

As well as buying a couple of clothes, I bought the other Zelda game (A Link to the Past) for my new Game Boy Advance. I haven't finished the first one yet by any means, but sod's law is that when I want to get it, I won't be able to find it in the shops anywhere. The really ironic thing is that I used to have this game for my original Gameboy (along with the classic Tetris and a couple of other games), but when that stopped working - I think the batteries leaked in the battery compartment -there wasn't much point in hanging onto the original games, so I gave them away along with loads of other stuff. I wish I hadn't now, I used to love playing Tetris -gotta see if I can get it again. I'm told the Game Boy Colour version will work, I'll have to check Ebay ;-)

I also had a bit of a splurge on DVDs, most of what I bought was further
replacements for the SF movies that Sean took: Armageddon, Starship
Troopers, Judge Dredd etc, but I also bought the second volume of Kill Bill
and Garfield: The Movie. I'm quite embarrassed by this last purchase ;-),
but I was standing there in "Game" watching it on their TV screens, here I
was a thirty-something standing there enraptured by a dancing cat. How
embarrassing, much better to do this sort of thing in private. So I bought
it.

1 comment:

Vash said...

I heard that there was a new Nintendo System, but alas it's not out here yet!!