Sunday, December 12, 2004

First Christmas "Do"

I'm hung over today and recovering from last night's excess. I think I drank about two bottles of wine - it was drinkable for a change, the Tregenna Castle actually put Medium wine on the table instead of the usual bottles of Dry House White. Two bottles of wine, plus one of Reef, two cointreaus and at the end of the night I was drinking Vodka Martinis - it was probably fortunate that Linzi piled me into the taxi when she did, all that to drink - plus the glass that I spilt all over the table earlier, the spirits were literally free-flowing.

It was quite a strange night really -
Me and Linzi (she's the glamorous one on the right who makes me look like a midget - what you don't know is that at that point she'd taken her shoes off and I was standing there in 3 in heels - but then that's why I can't get any trousers to fit ;-) ), were picked up by Lynette's daughter who drove us all there. Ray (my boss) and Angela were really late, we were all wondering what had happened to them. We had all finished our starters by the time they arrived, about half an hour late. It turned out that Ray was staying at the hotel and had forgotten to bring his trousers with him, so he had to go all the way home to Rusudgeon to get them. lol!!!

The food wasn't up to much though, the last time I'd been to the summer ball at the Tregenna the food was excellent and just about the right amount - but this time it wasn't so good. A chicken salad to start with - and no dressing on the lettuce leaves - yuk! (or melon or soup), Turkey or Salmon (not enough vegetables on the table) as the main course and Christmas pudding or mousse to finish with. I don't like Christmas pudding so I had to settle for the mousse, but I don't really like chocolate desserts either so I only ate half of it. Fortunately I wasn't that hungry because I'd eaten a nice lunch in the Blue Snapper wine bar at lunchtime.

Lynette's husband Terry was surprised to find a cardboard disk from a party popper at the bottom of his coffee cup - no wonder his coffee tasted bad. ;-)

I unexpectedly bumped into an old friend from Hayle at the dinner too. I thought he was just gate-crashing - I wouldn't put it past him to do that sort of thing - but his date was giving me nasty looks all night, so he'd obviously mentioned me to her previously, so I stayed well clear.

That sort of thing just doesn't happen in the SE, the odds of meeting someone that you know are really high, but because there aren't that many people in Cornwall by comparison, everyone knows someone somewhere, and usually all about that person's business too. It can drive you crazy at times.

No comments: