Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Afternoon in Newlyn

I get Wednesday afternoon's off usually, and I often am busier running errands on Wednesday afternoons than I would be if I stayed in the office. But this week I'm getting caught up with a lot of stuff here finally in the flat and I actually had some "me" time!

I actually planned to do a bit of shopping this afternoon, first item on the list was a small hoover for the flat. I've been here three weeks, and what with Jade's cat litter turning up in the oddest places, combined with leaves that he brings in and also our hair getting everywhere, the floor's been getting a tad crunchy of late - and I really needed to clean. My landlady has a Dyson hoover that I can use, but the thought of humping that up two flights of stairs to the flat has put me off using it. But in the end I didn't have to buy one, my boss donated one of the office hoover's too me (he plans to get a new "Henry" Hoover for the office), so that was a trip to Argos that I didn't have to make. So picture me at lunchtime walking through town carrying a hoover, people must have thought I was a bit strange, but then again, Cornwall attracts all sorts. Anyway, halfway up the road, one of the straps broke on my handbag (again - this is the second time this has happened, I exchanged the first one - and now the same thing has happened to it's replacement), maybe I'm carrying too much stuff around in it, for I had:

  • 2 small plastic hoover attachments
  • purse
  • glasses case
  • gameboy advance (complete with plug and charging lead)
  • mobile phone (complete with plug and charging lead
  • keys
  • address book
  • 2 cheque books
  • make up
  • assorted ketchup and sauce sachets
  • salt and pepper sachets
  • scraps of paper and receipts
  • cherry lip balm
  • passport
  • and not forgetting of course, for this is a cross stitching blog: my purse project (which at the moment is still the Canterbury Bell Fairy)

What do you think? I guess you can see why the strap broke ;-)

Anyway, the shop exchanged the bag for another one and I endured
embarrasment again as I had to take everything out of the old bag and put it
into the new one.

When I had dropped the hoover off, I set off along the seafront into Newlyn
so I could get a piece framed. It's the African Elephants piece that is in
my webshots album (2004 Finishes). This piece is particularly special to me because my Aunt started it off last year, and unfortunately was unable to complete it because she died of cancer in June. I finished it off this summer in her memory. This is the reason I took it to a professional framer - I didn't trust myself to do a good enough job. It's going to take about 3 weeks (they have to order some materials in) but I should get it back in time for Christmas.

After leaving the framers I stopped at a small cafe and had a jacket potato
which was filled with "bang-bang" chicken. Well, all I can say is - it
certainly banged! The chicken was in a satay sauce, but it was quite hot
and spicy - very tasty, but hotter than I would have liked.

After finishing that I walked back along the seafront. The wind was quite
cold coming off the sea, and I was surprised that the damage to the sea wall in Newlyn hasn't yet been repaired from last month's storms. There are still barriers in about 5 or 6 places along there where the vicious waves ate away at the edge of the wall.

So now I'm sitting back here, (after de-crunchifying the carpet with my new
hoover) and just telling you all about my afternoon on this blog. Ermm.....
I'm supposed to be stitching actually, UKCSF (my yahoo group) have Wednesday evenings as UFO night so I suppose I'd better get stitching ;-)

No comments: