Saturday, June 11, 2005

On The Tharsis Bulge

For those of you not familiar with Mars, the Tharsis region is the main volcanic region on the planet. There are three long dorman supervolcanoes there, including the largest volcano in the solar System Olympus Mons...

When I stepped off the plane and sat on the transfer coach, I thought I was on Mars. There are volcano cones and calderas everywhere. I thought Lanzarote only had a few volcanoes in the Volcano National Park, not so, they are bloody everywhere. There´s got to be at least 20 - 30 separate cones that I´ve seen at least. There´s one just outside the hotel even! I may go for a hike and see how far I can get up it.

The hotel is wonderful and has exceeded my expectations and coming from a cynical person like me, that´s really saying something. Going all inclusive was a good idea - had a good night last night watching the hotel´s entertainment, and this morning, when I checked my purse - I still had money in it. Something that does not happen after a good night out in Cornwall!!!

I seem to be a bit ill fated with Sangria though. My first was swept away by the wind. The second got taken by the staff after I left the swimming pool area for 10 minutes to book an Excursion with the Holiday Rep. I´ll call him "Big Bob" and when I post a pic of him when I get back, you´ll see why! My third Sangria I actually managed to drink, and later on in the Canary Bar my fourth was tipped over by a toddler. Ho hum, but at least I´m not paying for the refills!

Better keep this brief as its a Euro for every ten minutes I´m using this machine.

No comments: