Thursday, May 12, 2005

Cottage Needle Crafts

I had quite a productive Wednesday afternoon off yesterday. I went back to Hayle to pick up a prescription from a chemist, spent about two and a half hours in a couple of travel agents trying to find a cheap holiday to go away in June (didn't find anything for my budget though), and I found some local stitchers.

This happened almost by accident. I had saw an advert in a magazine that there was a cross stitch place that was advertising in Gulval. Gulval is a little village only about a mile or so outside of Penzance. I didn't remember the exact address, but Gulval is only really a few houses so I thought "how could I miss it"? Well I did. In the end I had to ask in the local post office if they knew where it was. They directed me to a row of cottages near a pub.... but no shop signs were visible... so I went and made further enquiries in the local pub. Yes it definitely was there, the last cottage in the row and they had only just started up so I figured that's why there was no signage outside.

With no trepidation I knocked on the door and asked the lady who opened it if she was called Linda and if she sold cross stitch. I was in the right place - they did - but made designs for kits only. So there was me standing on the doorstep hoping to buy DMC 798 and 799 (running out doing the sky on Venice) and it wasn't a shop - just a designers house! Ooops.

Nevertheless, they invited me inside, sat me down, made me a coffee and showed me their designs. Very cute, loads of designs based around alphabets and children. One of the designers was adapting one design on request of a customer, changing a little boy into an elderly golfer. It was interesting that Joy, the designer was doing the main part of the designing on a computer and then was stitching it up to test what it looked like in the flesh.

We talked about setting up a local stitching circle. They had run a giveaway competition in Cross Stitch Crazy a few months ago and had quite a few entries - many from local people, which surprised me, so it seems they have the contacts and the resources to get a local stitching circle off the ground. I was very pleased, I'm sure that they will be in touch. In the meantime, if you would like to look at their designs, click the icon below:

No comments: