Monday, February 28, 2005

Stitching Bloggers Question of the Week: Round Robins

Do you participate in round robins? If so, how many have you participated in? Do you participate in more than one at a time? Summarize your experiences (good and/or bad).

If not, have you thought about it?


I've been involved in five Round Robins so far:

The first was organised by the A Noble Needle Yahoo Group. It's theme was a beginners RR - but as it was leading up to Christmas - the other three members picked a Christmas theme for their designs. I stuck to the Bears from Around the World. If you look back at my Completed in 2001 page, there's some images there from it. My own piece of material can be seen on my Yahoo Photo Pages, it's Theme was Teddy Bears. This robin ran smoothly without a hitch.

The second RR was also through ANN. It was called Fantasy 4. It's theme was Fantasy and we stitched dragons and fantastic creatures. This robin also ran smoothly without a hitch, although some of the fabric did take a while to make it home. I met my friend Piwi though this Robin. I picked fairies as theme for my robin. Here's a picture of the finished piece (although I still have to add a few more embelishments and frame it. There are other pictures of the pieces I stitched for Jennifer, Katt and Piwi here. On Piwi's piece, I did Teresa Wenzler's Tempest in a Teacup. Loved stitching him, may do him again at some point in the future - he turned me into a real TW fan.

The third RR actually completed before the second one - it was a Christmas themed RR which I stitched with My Mother, My Aunt and my aunt's friend Karen. You can see this in my 2002 Finishes.

Cautious CatThe fourth RR is the Cattitudes RR and this is still ongoing. This has become quite a saga, people have left, new members have joined to replace them and at the moment were still at about 8 members (we started off with about 14 at one point) the intention was to stitch all 12 cats from the November 2002 Margaret Sherry Catalog. The last cat I stitched was Cautious. I dropped out of this myself for about 6 months while I tried to sort out my life down here in Cornwall.

The fifth RR was an Easter Themed RR which I organised myself on my UKCSF Yahoo Group. The RR went OK to start with until all the problems happened with Sean! Curse him! So I sort of missed the end of it, only stitched 3 designs. Petra was OK about it though (I still had to stitch on her piece when I dropped out), which was a real shame because her ring of dancing bunnies looked like a fun stitch. I got my fabric back from Sandra, who was looking after it for me. The fabric turned out really good. It makes it all the more poingnant now because the design I stitched of the RSPCA bunny looked I lot like my old bunny Jessica. I still don't know what Sean did with her.

No comments: